Hands down, the first step to a better life starts with YOU!
This page is a list of all of my favorite workout programs! Let it inspire you to start one today!
But first, a few things to keep in mind regarding your fitness journey…
DOs and DON’Ts
- DON’T workout for a perfect picture on insta. Many of the people liking it are spammers, creepers, or bots. SOME are genuine people and truly love seeing your journey and want to uplift you. But here’s the truth- you don’t personally know them. So workout for the people you do know. Most importantly, do it for YOU.
- DO workout because it’s good for not only your body, but also your soul (your mind + emotions. Trust me, your stress levels and sleep cycles will thank you!)
- Do fun things with your fitness journey like running for a cause, if you’re an instructor- host a free community class outside in the sunshine. (I did this at the beach with Zumba all the time. I also taught a few classes at a local brewery space. Spiced it up and people who wouldn’t have normally came, tried it out and had a BLAST!), add a hike or two in every once in awhile, check out deals on Groupon for fitness classes you’ve never tried before & give ’em a shot.
- DO use fitness for a cause: I hosted ZumbaTHONs for charities, I taught ballroom to breast cancer surviors for BeyondBoobs & performed with them at benefits! I’m currently a sponsored runner for The Herren Project, a nonprofit fighting addiction. Your love for fitness can turn you into an integral and beautiful part of organizations beyond your community. Let it happen!
- DON’T be a statistic. Over 70% of people quit their healthy lifestyle shortly after starting due to lack of time, support, proper integration between fitness + nutrition (this is a MUST), and fear of accountability. You’re better than that, beautiful! Find the people who are going to love that you are working on yourself, make the time to do it, STICK WITH IT. Perseverance is KEY.
- DON’T get caught up in the way you look. A “fit” life is great, looking sexy is awesome, but a HEALTHY life is better and that is all encompassing. That’s in your mind + emotions. That’s in your relationships: 1st with yourself, 2nd with those in your corner (keep in mind- someone can be in your CIRCLE but that sure as hell doesn’t mean they are in your CORNER), 3rd with your community + beyond. Again, how you look physically is great, but we all get wrinkly and old. How you FEEL and ACT and PERCEIVE and BUILD RELATIONSHIPS – YOUR CHARACTER, THAT’S what matters. And when we can get TOO caught up in the mirror it leads to MENTAL and EMOTIONAL STRESS. Which is having the exact OPPOSITE affect on your body- a negative one. You’ll never see results b/c your mind will be closed and then stress will take it’s toll and you’ll be a downward spiral of self prophecy. Just DON’T. Stop while you’re ahead and love what your momma gave you!
A healthy and happy life starts INSIDE, please don’t forget your MENTAL + EMOTIONAL health, EVER. Do all things that SERVE YOU + better the lives of your loved ones.
Happiness should be your motivation ➡ happiness is healthy ➡ happiness is success ➡ being successfully happy is contagious!! So make a difference and impact others by first making a difference in yourself.
So, Let’s Start Sharing!
Company #1: The Squat Challenge
I might be slightly obsessed with them. My legs never so lean, my behind never so lifted! Seriously, I refer this program to EVERYONE. They have gym + home editions + programs that vary in length!
Company #2: Zena Rommett Floor- Barre Foundation
*This is especially perfect for current and retired dancers!
If you’re not a dancer, do not worry! She does explain positioning and posture as well. You can also feel free to use THIS GUIDE to learn about and ensure you are utilizing the proper muscles for a sculpted, lean, dancer physique!
ALSO, they are EXCELLENT for the injured athlete. Just take it from Clair Huxtable, jk I mean Phylicia Rashad ;), in that video up there! + from me! I tore my hip dancing when I was 19, didn’t notice it until I was 21 and had to sit out of a performance and do PT. It SUCKED. I remembered doing Floor Barre all the time when I attended The Academy of Russian Ballet throughout middle/high school & immediately broke out my DVDs and got to work! I was back to dancing and utilizing the correct muscles in the meantime. It also made me more aware of my muscle utilization and isolation at the gym!
Buy the program here:
Company #3: Beachbody
*Beachbody has many programs, but these are my FAVs!
Learn more here: PiYo
Brief: Combines the muscle-sculpting, core-firming benefits of Pilates with the strength and flexibility advantages of yoga + cranks up the speed to deliver a true fat-burning, low-impact workout that leaves your body looking long, lean, and incredibly defined.
Learn more here: Insanity Max 30
Brief: Every time you do a MAX:30 workout, you go as hard as you can for as long as you can. Then, when you literally can’t go anymore, you take a break and log your time as MAXED OUT and then get right back in to finish your workout.
Learn more here: Insanity
Brief: Turns old-school interval
training on its head. You work flat out in 3 to 5-minute blocks, and take breaks only long enough to gulp some air and get right back to work. It’s called Max Interval Training, because it keeps your body working at maximum capacity through your entire workout.
You keep pushing your limits – so your body has to adapt. Insane results in 60 days.
Learn more here: 80 Day Obsession
Brief: Fitness + Nutriton program created by Autumn Calabrese to build up a firm, rounded butt, burn away fat to reveal leaner, flatter abs, and get a total body transformation.
Learn more here: 21 Day Fix
Brief: Easy to follow portion control + one 30 min work per day.
Company #4: Kayla Itsines
*who doesn’t love her though?
The Bikini Body Guide is a series of circuit workouts + a nutrition plan. I love doing them at the gym in conjunction with my own gym based routine. The circuits are short, sweet, to the point, and you get a GIANT BANG for your buck! You will 100% see results in 1-2 weeks. This is why the internet is obsessed with her and her current app Sweat with Kayla is #6 on the Top Grossing Health & Fitness list! Go her!
Find more info at her website here